Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Art Tour

I hadn't expected to get an ego boost from attending the Highway 62 Art Tour in Yucca Valley, but that's what happened. In brief, the city puts on a huge art show which allows visitors to hit dozens of local galleries and speak with artists by aid of a handy map. The show is pretty broad, so you get to see pottery, ceremics, metal sculptures, painters, craftsmen and women and everything in between.
Of course, if you actually DO art you also get a rough idea of where you rank in the community. From my informal estimate, I'm above the half way mark. Sure there were some folks who's work I really didn't like, but there were some artistic geniuses as well. So placing mid range is pretty good. Very good actually.
I didn't buy any artwork, but I was tempted.

The one artist who sticks in my mind is a woman who paints in acrylics and decorates the canvas with beadwork. I really didn't like her stuff, but there were two that caught my eye. Both of them were bright colored geometric patterns which were impressive. At first I thought that someone else had done them, they were so different from her other works. The more I looked, the more I was tempted to buy them from her. Since she was in the studio at the time I asked her about them and found that they're based on Native American glyphs. Typical glyphs. She'd taken the standard bear and kokopelli figures and created repeating patterns from them.
I'm sorry that I asked. Once she'd pointed it out, I couldn't help but see them and the magic was gone. Ah well.

No comments:

Post a Comment