Monday, December 21, 2009

Those little differences


If you'd have asked me a few days ago if I was completely finished with the Hyllis painting, I'd have said yes. The painting was done in my mind. It came out exactly how I'd imagined it, and there wasn't any element of the painting that I would have added to or removed from.
But then it sat on the easel for two days and every time I passed in front of the painting I just couldn't escape the idea that I'd forgotten something. I wasn't too happy with the way the colors for the "WAR" text came out. The original was very orange, almost a pumpkin color. During the painting process, the text came out ochre and I couldn't get away from that. I wanted something bright, but the text came out muted and muddy. Other than that, it was fine.
But still....
Finally I couldn't stand it any more and took the paints out for one more go. I'm still not happy with the color of the text, but it's better. Much better. And the aging of the wall is perfect. I knew that it would be, but wasn't sure I wanted to make it look too realistic. This is an image taken from a video game after all, and having a cartoonish feel to it is part of the charm. But even so, the added texture makes all the difference.
NOW I'm done with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment