Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Elemental Easter Eggs

I posted earlier about wanting the Elemental Font in a .ttf file, and said something about how great it was when I first realized the runes on the Ultima IV cloth map could actually be read. Well, I didn't get a response about the font, but guess what I discovered when my cloth map came in the mail today... there is script around the border of the map and the poster. And yes, they can be read.

I love the game like crazy, and realize it had a rocky launch (to put it kindly), so I'm not being snarky or sarcastic when I say I discovered a few bugs cropping up in the poster text. Quite a few of them actually.

If you want to decipher it yourself, stop reading now.

Cloth Map:

North: "Seven thousand years ago, was the noontide of the mortals of Elemental. It was the age of the Magicians. The world was filled with magic and wonder. Its power shines as a beacon, and gains attention of Titans."

East: "The Immortals found a world lush with life and rich in magic. They set out to dominate this world and became in conflict."

South: "The Immortals were dominated by two leaders of terrible might. One was named Curgen, the other Kirtion. The shards became rooted in place. Their source of power gone, the mortal magicians were swept away (I think the word "by" was edited out here, and should be inserted between this and the next sentence.)."

West: "the Channelers, mortals who could channel the magic from shards. Life hangs by a thread. The only hope for Elemental is you."

Poster:

Top: This should read "The Kingdom of Men (ELEMENTAL) The Empire of Fallen"

...but there is a typo. It actually reads: "The Kingdom of Men (ELEMENTAL) The Empire fo Fallen"

Bottom: "Part 1 of the Elemental Cycle - War of Magic."

Right: This should read "In the First Age after the cataclysm was born the one who would bring life back to the world."

...but it doesn't. All I can imagine is that at the last minute, a graphic designer decided to scrunch the text around so that it would appear more balanced on the edges of the poster. However, when they did this the text got garbled and became nonsense. It actually reads: "In the First Age after the cataclysm was born the the(printed twice) (smudged letter) bring life back to the world."

Left: This should read "In the First Age after the cataclysm was born the one who would cover the world with death."

....but thanks to the mysterious graphic designer, we get something even more bizarre. It actually reads: "In the First Age after the c(smudged letter)orn the the (this time the second "the" is mirrored, actually printed backward and reversed) one who would cover the world with death."

And finally, my LE box came with a flier for the book Destiny's Embers (In stores now! Order today!). I had already placed my order for the book and was about to throw the ad away, when something caught my eye across the top of the page. It was a script of text, and it had a final typo for me to find.

It should read: "Elemental Destiny's Embers"

...but it actually reads

"Elementala Destinyas Embers"

Maybe it's for the Spanish version of the book?

No comments:

Post a Comment