Saturday, February 5, 2011

Eraserhead

Part of me wishes that I could see David Lynch films in fast-forward mode. I'd enjoy them more, and I don't think it's a disservice to the director or myself for saying so. He does "bizarre" like a kid in school vying for attention to the point where he's willing to eat worms. In David Lynch's case, at this point of his career he's shovelling them down by the handful.

I do like creepy scenes in movies, and atmospheric works are something I appreciate and enjoy. But Mr. Lynch seems determined to have the audience unnerved or unsettled by showing characters moving in slow, awkward ways that are unpleasant to watch. Well and good. When it works, it works fine. But for goodness sake, the same effect could be created once at the beginning of the film and it would be enough. It doesn't have to be done again and again throughout the running time of the movie.

Eraserhead is slow moving, but there are scenes unlike any I'd seen before. So for that I'm thankful and would recommend that this film be watched for anyone with a taste for the odd or disturbing. But keep your finger near the FF button. And if you have to leave the room for a smoke or to make coffee, don't worry too much about missing anything important.

No comments:

Post a Comment