Monday, April 18, 2011

One Website at a Time

One of the fun things about a class on website design and development is that at the end of the class you have a fully working and functioning website. It's like those A+ classes people take to learn how to repair computers. When the class is over, in addition to a ink-jet certificate of completion you get a brand new computer to haul away. Talk about a bonus! It makes sitting through lectures worthwhile.

The class that I'm taking now has lots of helpful and interesting concepts as to what makes a 'good' website, but the real attraction to me is that I get to work on a website that will be mine at the end of the class. I'm thinking that for this one I'm going to put together an online file sharing platform for music and graphics which can be hosted anywhere very easily. The graphics I'll make as the class goes along. Right now I'm just putting in placeholder content so I have a framework to develop the design around. Graphics are a kick, but they're a pain to do when you've got deadlines looming over your head.

As a side not and not pertaining to anything, Conan stories are much more entertaining to read than I'd given them credit for. I'd known about Robert Howard for years, and appreciated his other writings but had imagined that the Conan stories wouldn't have too much depth to them. They don't really, but they ooze atmosphere and you can't help but sit up a little straighter in your chair as you read about the barbarian lopping people's heads off just because they invade the Aquilonian kingdom. Yes, I'd probably be tempted to do the same thing myself if I were in his shoes, but I'd lack the finesse he displays on each page.

Does anyone know how many times the word "thews" appears in a typical Conan story? I'm thinking it's about 50.

No comments:

Post a Comment