Saturday, March 20, 2010

Up? Really? For sure this time?

Actually, I think so.

It turns out that the problem I had with the site earlier wasn't that unique, but I'm still not sure how the 'proper' fix would have looked. Long story short, I had turned on the "Search Engine Friendly URL" function, which would allow search engines like Google to easily crawl the site and display content properly. As an added bonus, it's generally recognized that the SEF URLs help your Google ranking, which I wouldn't mind at all.

However, Joomla has a bit of an issue with that. It does have the ability for those friendly URLs, but more often than not it will make your site a giant furball of broken links. So there IS a fix, but it involves coding, and I'm not up for coding this weekend. I'm up for making a website.

Yes, I know that they sound like the same things, but they are different. One has lots of intense concentration with not a lot to show for it at the end. The other results in colorful stuff splashed across the screen by this evening. So I'm going for the one that has more immediate gratification associated with it.

So right now the site is up and looks pretty darn good. There's still lots of articles to put up, but I'll just work on those as time permits. What I'm really happy with is now nicely the site is linked together and how good the paintings look on it. So for the time being, there are pictures online, but no accompanying text to go with them. Maybe a little lopsided, but once I put some text in, the site should be fine. Also, it's got more space for additional content. So those Hardwar images will finally see the light of day!

No comments:

Post a Comment