Sunday, June 13, 2010

Greater Morongo Basin Lobster

OK, this one came out of the blue. I was spending the day at the Greater Morongo Basin Nature Preserve and taking advantage of probably the last day of the month that will have less than 110 degree weather. I was checking out the local wildlife, and saw something strange in the small pond that runs through the center of the preserve. A flash of orange had caught my eye, and when I looked over the side of the boardwalk to investigate further, I was surprised to see a goldfish. A large goldfish. Now the exotic way to name these things is to call them Koi, but they're carp all the same. This one was about the size of a harmonica and was lazily drifting along in the cool water. When the current took him out of view I kept looking to see what else was in the water.
I saw another smaller goldfish. Then two more.
I have no idea what these guys were doing in the preserve, and they were probably thinking the same thing about the crayfish which was poking along the bottom. Yeah, a crayfish.
All I can imagine is that someone was having to get rid of their apartment aquarium, and couldn't stand the thought of flushing these guys out to sea. So they smuggled them into the park and released them into the wild. I can't say anything about the wisdom of such an action, but the fish seem to be doing well, and the crayfish looked happy. Or as happy as crayfish look. They don't really have faces, you see.

No comments:

Post a Comment