Sunday, August 1, 2010

Mockingbird Mama

I found a baby mockingbird in the back yard today, or I should say that the friendly neighbor's cat Apollo found the bird, much to the concern of it's Mom and Dad. I found the baby just in time! They parents were kicking up a fuss, chirping and bouncing around to distract the gangly orange tabby. The baby was imitating a stone, and didn't move or make a peep. Good instincts on the baby's part. The cat was returned to the neighbor to keep inside while we decided what to do.
I eventually picked up the bird (with gloves, natch), and placed him in the bird feeder which is a good 5 feet off the ground. This way he would be safe from prowling cats, and the parents could keep an eye on him.
I checked on him about an hour later, and he was no where to be found. I'm thinking he probably jumped down onto the bushes below, but didn't go out to check. I'm counting on Mother Nature to take care of him from here. Go nature!

No comments:

Post a Comment