Tuesday, August 10, 2010

When Life Gives You Lemons, Break Your Guitar

Awhile back I was taking a VVC class for guitar. It was very introductory, but also a ton of fun. Since this was a class aimed at the guitar beginner, there were many people who brought in whatever guitar they could get their hands on.
Some people had guitar's they'd inherited from their father or mother. Others had been given a guitar for a Christmas gift years ago, and were just now getting around to actually learning to play the thing. I brought my chrome beauty.
This guitar is a resonator. The thing weighs a ton, and I've written about it before. It's a beast to play, and the sound is unusual to say the least. I loved the opportunity to show it off, but as the class progressed it was obvious that it was unsuitable for my recital. For one thing, it really IS difficult to play. Also, a more normal guitar has a richer tone and would make my playing sound pretty sweet. I do have a straight acoustic guitar, but it's got a curved plastic back. Yeah, I know what you're thinking. So what, right? Well, some people look down on guitars like that. I think they look awesome, but the purists seem to think the tone is flat. They might have something. Of course, it's also an opportunity to get another guitar, so that's what I did.
I picked up a cheap acoustic/electric guitar on eBay and used it instead. It sounded great, heck even I could tell that. But there was a danger lurking in my purchase which I didn't realize until much, much later.
The guitar sat in it's case for a few months. I'd imagined that it was safe as kittens, until I opened up the guitar case to do a bit of fiddling around. I found that one of the strings had snapped. That was weird, because I deliberately loosened all the strings when I knew I wouldn't be playing for a bit. I didn't want any extra strain on the neck while it sat.
So I tuned up the remaining strings, and found something weird and horrible. The notes were, well, weird. I kept tuning down to the last E, and found that the 6th string had a horrible buzz. I've only had buzzing sounds on electric guitars, nothing from acoustic before. This was terrible. It sounded like a wasp nest which was on a heavy duty spin cycle in the washing machine. I looked closer and noticed something was wrong with the guitar itself. Something with the neck.
The string was hitting the first three frets. I checked closer and saw that the neck had warped. So I tightened all the other strings to see if it would bow back into position.
And another string snapped.
Fine. So I did some online research. It turns out that guitar necks bow in three different ways. Either forward, backward or with a twist. Forward and backward are bad, but not expensive to fix. A twist is bad, but some guitars have a special tension rod in the neck that you can make the adjustment yourself to correct the issue.
Did I mention this was a cheap guitar? No rod on this one.
To fix a twist, you take it to a guitar shop and pay money. And yes, the cost of the repair was more expensive than this guitar was worth.
Now about lemons and lemonade...

No comments:

Post a Comment