Thursday, June 30, 2011

How to Paint : Part 2 -Tribute Painting


Boy, I must really like you guys to post something like this. Here is the painting as it stands so far. Remember when I said that the painting would look worse before it looked better? Now you'll realize I wasn't joking. It's a rough start, but then again, they all are.

Do you notice how the curtains are sort of... off? There's a reason for that and it's an embarrassing one. In the process of putting on some preliminary shadows for the curtains, the canvas got turned around on the easel. When I stepped back I noticed that the folds in the curtains didn't match up with the screen-grab that I'd taken for this project. I shrugged my shoulders and set about to putting it right. Heck, this isn't that big a deal, I thought. I'm a good enough painter to fix things on the fly. So I grabbed a brush and went to town.

It wasn't until I stepped away a second time that I noticed that I'd had the canvas inverted and had somehow managed to paint the folds upside down. Grrr. It still isn't that critical of a problem because I'll be fixing and tweaking the painting as we go along. But it really isn't something I'd deliberately set about putting in my way!

The painting is a murky specter of what it will look like when we're done, but you can still catch a sense of what it will become. For now we'll let the paint dry overnight and gather up the courage to assault the canvas in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment