Friday, June 3, 2011

Psycho 2 of 4


I think I'm done with monkeying around with black paint for awhile. I like the results, but went nearly cross-eyed trying to squint at that endless field of black to make sure I plastered every nook and cranny with paint.

Sad to say, those wrinkles are present in this picture as well, and they don't look like they're going anywhere. It's not that big of a deal, really. If it starts to get to me I can just put the painting in a heavy frame that covers the corners, or even just have the canvas stretched on a new frame. Actually, unlike most of my paintings, this is a series that I would actually like to see framed. The originals in the Psychnauts game have heavy gilt frames which add to the over the top stylistic eyesore of the whole things. So if I do decide to have these framed, I'll aim for something that is really outrageous.

In the meantime, I'll learn to live with saggy corners.

If you look carefully at the Queen's gown, you'll realize that I messed up on the design. I actually started the quilted pattern on a panel of the gown that was supposed to be left blank. So in this way, the original sketch is going to look different from the finished project. It worked out well and I decided to leave it alone. For the playing card to look like an official Hoyle queen, the gown must have equal parts of pattern and undecorated panels. So instead of just adding to the design, I held back and didn't decorate the panels I'd intended to embellish. When all is said and done, it looks perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment