Wednesday, August 1, 2012

For Whom the Bell Tolls Loteria

All the Bells of Earth loteria cards for fortune telling and tarot reading.
"The Bell" Loteria Card
"The Bell"
This painting really pushed the boundaries of what I can do with acrylics.  I'm sure there are plenty of painters out there who can make the colors whirl and dance to their brushes like a conductor before a colorful symphony orchestra.  But that's a bit beyond my abilities for now.
The description of this card made it clear that a bronze bell (with verdigris) is shown before rolling storm clouds which are pierced by shafts of sunlight.  Not an easy feat to be sure.  Storm clouds are pretty straight forward to make and actually are one of my favorite things to paint.  But these needed to be almost purple in color.  The shafts of sunlight needed to glow before a dark background which needed some preparation before I was able to come up with an effect which I'm satisified with.
But all in all, the devil was needed to be painted to look like the 'red pajama wearing" imp from countless Sunday school lectures.  It works... but if I were going to come up with my own design (and not a design based on Franciscan monks of a few hundred years ago), I'd concentrate more on bandy muscled demons.

No comments:

Post a Comment