Sunday, April 25, 2010

Another Shot at being Newsless

OK, that was much harder than I thought.
I'd written earlier about going without news, to see what sort of news was ABSOLUTELY necessary for society. I'll be honest with you. I didn't last 24 hours.
Now at first I thought that it would be a simple matter of breaking a habit. You see, when I first log into the internet, I follow a general pattern of checking out some news aggregate sites, then main stream stuff like Yahoo, and maybe follow it up with off-beat news from Fark. Pretty simple routine.
So all I'd have to do is just surf somewhere else. Somewhere without any news or information of any importance whatsoever. Like Salon.com maybe.

But immediately I fell into the problem of finding ANYTHING worth reading. Cracked is great, no doubt about it. But beyond that... I sure as heck wasn't going to lower myself to reading someones blog, or (God forbid) a forum.

So I failed, and failed big. But after getting my fill of the world's events, I realized that news of the world is pretty boring. There's more to that, but the fact remains. The AP stylings applied to news articles is horribly abused by most news organizations. I'm sure that during it's founding, when reporters laid out the guidelines for reporting, they served the purpose of clarifying content and reducing opinion. Fine. But since most articles are no longer written by reporters and are instead created as news-releases from PR firms, the AP style is used as a cudgel. Now, articles essentially write themselves.
That hurricane on the East coast? Yeah, it's written the same way no matter where it actually landed. It doesn't matter if it was in Florida or Maine, the article is exactly the same, so if you've read one article about it, you've read them all.
Considering the same applies to every political outrage, every societal injustice, every uninformed spin on stoking fury and discontent... we'll it makes for an empty waste of time.

So I've pretty much read all the news there is. I got it. I don't need to read it over and over again each day. I'm restarting that test.

No more news. Starting... NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment