Monday, April 26, 2010

LA Times Headlines

This isn't cheating. This is just providing an example of why newspapers are a dying industry:

Today's Headlines in the LA Times:

"Seeking a shot at a free clinic: Thousands line up for wristbands that will afford them sorely needed treatment"- A pretty good start for the front page of a paper. This is local news (LA area) and important in realizing the state of health care in the country today.

"China's real estate fever is rising" - OK, two things. First: Who cares? I'm not in China, and no one I know is in the real estate business. The only people I know who are affected by real estate are the folks who have lost their homes, or are currently in danger of doing so. None of these people are planning on moving to China. So if the subject doesn't affect me and is about a place I haven't been to, why would I read this?

"Cartels rattled but now bowed by U.S.: A string of Mexican drug lords get stiff prison sentences, but most are replaced quickly by lieutenants." - While the subject is undoubtedly true, again it doesn't really affect me. I don't do drugs. I haven't been to Mexico. What DOES affect me is the large expenditures of tax dollars fighting a drug war, as well as drug issues in California. So I'd read an article talking about effective, alternative ways to fight drug trafficing. I don't need to read about how we imprison drug lords just to have them be replaced by other members of the cartel. We've been doing that since the 80's. Unless it's suddenly become effective, nothings changed and I can pretty much write this article myself without doing any research.

"He wants the bad guys to know that someone's watching: James Jacrabbit Jackson has taken it upon himself to protect his Detroit neighborhood" -Not local, and I've only been to Detroit once. No plans on going back any time soon either. We do have people to watch neighborhoods, they're called the police. Why is this in the LA times?

"Pumping Iron, Pushing on: After a shooting left former LAPD Officer Kristina Ripatti paralyzed, she knew what she had to do. Get strong again." Cool, but wouldn't the real story be what happened? A police officer was shot? Who had the gun? Are shootings of officers a problem, and if so, how is the force addressing the issue? Controlling handguns? You and I know the answer to that so it needs no further discussion. But also there's another part of this story, from a readership angle. Yes, the story is inspiring and true. But, I'm not a police officer, and have never been involved in a shooting. Also, I've never (thank God) had to work my way back from paralysis or a serious injury.

While it isn't important, or possible, for a newspaper to only have articles that are on subjects affecting me directly, it's also true that I can go to news sites that fulfill that ability. News is interesting to me when it's on subjects that I don't already know, but make me more aware of the world around me once I've read them.

Police shootings, drug trafficking problems, real estate issues, failed health care in the States. I've read it already.

No comments:

Post a Comment