Saturday, March 17, 2012

Final Run of the Pirates of Penzance, Part II

The show is over and I thought it was a fantastic run. There is no doubt that the music directors we had for this performance made the singing exceptional. It helped that we had fantastic orchesteric accompaniment, but the actors were fantastic as well. Our Pirate King knocked it out of the part, and our Mabel was a delight. All in all, I'm very sad that the play is now a thing of the past. I'd have thought that considering the hundreds of times I've heard the music for this G&S play, I could easily do without it for a few years. But there is much more to the play then just music. There are great people doing something they love. And we put on a hell of a performance for the audience.

Also, the VVC theater was about 2/3rds full each night which was wonderful because we had a ton of performances. Again, this is a theater which serves Apple Valley. And, nice thought that local is, I couldn't have imagined it would be able to pack the place continually week after week. Yet we did, and judging by the audience reaction, we showed them a good time.

Now to let my skin recover from all the stage makeup. Since I was a constable for the second act, I decided to grow out a mustache into a bristly soup-catcher. It was fantastic while I was on stage, but for the 99% of my life outside of the theater, it was a hassle. This is the first time I can honestly say that when I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror I was taken aback. Gha! I'm sure there are people out there who can pull of the solo mustache look, but I'm not one of them. I'm just as happy to go around clean shaven.

Stage makeup is thick and my skin didn't break out or anything, but it's a close thing. Another week of putting on the Nye stuff and I'd have been buying Noxemia.

I did manage to get my hands on some of the photos from the show, and I'll be putting them up when I get a minute free.

No comments:

Post a Comment