Saturday, March 17, 2012

Tribute Painting, Continued

OK, the painting is done. This is going to be a wedding gift for my beloved sis because my original idea was nixed by Kathy. I really am happy with the way this painting came about and I think it will be a very fitting wedding gift as well. However, in the back of my mind I can't shake the feeling that I was on the right track before. See if you agree with me.

I had first thought to send my sis a painting that I did over the top of Ray's tower painting which I'd fallen in love with earlier this year. That painting was detailed and atmospheric. It showed a tower which is a conglomeration of differing architectural designs rising into the heavens. This tower is done in heavy browns and appears in a tan and sand colored sky. There is very little in the way of background details and in fact only the upper stories of the tower is shown. This gives the viewer the impression that this tower is climbing into the heavens and can be of an only unguessed at height.

I couldn't help thinking that I'd have added some subtle details and colors to the tower if I were going to venture on a similar painting. The idea of adding details to this painting had been floating around in my creative mind for a few months and then boldly asserted themselves when it was suggested that I make a painting as a give for Faith.

So I followed my plan and laid colors and details carefully over the top of the tower painting. The result is pleasing and enjoyable and the only thing that I regret is that I didn't take any photos of the painting before I started. Right now the painting is 'complete', but it would have been very striking to have a 'before' and 'after' image side by side for comparison. I have no doubt that the changed I enacted on the canvas improved the painting. But it would have been fun to see exactly how much was mine and how much was Ray's.

When I presented the painting to Kathy for a thumbs up or thumbs down, she told me that Faith would have preferred something that was 100% me. Humm. I'm not so sure. From my perspective I really do like the end result and the symbolism behind the work, but that's just me. So Faith is getting the tribute painting and I'm happy. She'll like this one for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment