Friday, February 28, 2014

Waiting for RENT

I'm backstage right now waiting for the opening night's performance of RENT to draw to a close. I've got a few moments to spare so I'm giving a quick update here.  OK.  You know the truth of the story.  I've got LOTS of time to spare because RENT is a play that takes forever to end.  So I'm free to make this a lengthy update without worrying about missing the final number.
Wow, this play goes on for longer than 525,600 minutes.
I finished my painting for the lobby.  VVC did a call for art which specifically requested pieces to be inspired by RENT in some fashion.  I couldn't resist this call.  After thinking it over for a bit, an image occurred to me which captured my particular take on the production.  A fresh canvas and some brush strokes later, and I was done.
I'll post a picture of it here, if I haven't already.  It features two cartoonishly middle-class audience members clapping in ecstasy while watching an actor draped in a Gay Pride flag.  The actor is performing a song from the musical while standing in a garbage can.  The title of this piece is "Refuse Mediocrity".  I'm very proud of this piece.
If you are one of the lucky few dozen people who have had no experience with RENT, the setting centers around the antics of a group of New York 'bohemians' complain about how their dysfunctional relationships aren't working out.  The play is the epitome of surface-deep emotion.  A parade of the mundane.  The songs are hastily written dialog purposely mistimed to any attempt of melody.  A more capable playwright would have been able to match dialog to music, but failing that was only able to swear that the end result was intentional.  I'm not blaming him.  We all have to pay our bills somehow.  Everyone except the cardboard characters on the stage.
There is a cast party right after tonight's performance, so at least that will be a highlight for this crew's hard work and dedication.  But I'm leaving the moment someone launches into a song from the production.

No comments:

Post a Comment