Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Longest Journey Artwork?

Something very strange happened to me while playing The Longest Journey. I couldn't find any artwork to rip off the walls.

A short explanation. I've been playing games for awhile now, and one of the things I do is take souvenirs from titles that I've finished. To do this, I'll keep an eye out for a painting or poster that appears during the game, and then paint it. Simple, right? You can sort of look at it this way: people paint landscapes all the time. It's a common subject that you can find anywhere. Someone will get some tubes of paint, a canvas and easel, and then wander around the countryside looking for something to paint. In this way, they are taking something real, and making a pseudo-real copy of it.

I'm doing the exact same thing, only in reverse. I'm taking something that doesn't exist (a painting in a computer game) and making something real from it (an actual painting)

So where was I... Oh yes! The Longest Journey.

Now this title had pretty much everything that I could ask for. The main character is a painter in school, she finds out that she can use her innate magical abilities to open doorways to another world through her artwork, and some of the game takes place in a gallery. Simple, right? This should be what they call a 'target rich environment'. No matter where I am in the game, there should be lots of opportunities to find something acrylic worthy.

But it didn't turn out that way. Far from it, in fact. The paintings in the gallery are rendered in low-rez which made getting a good view of them very tricky. The one screen which showed a full view of a painting actually focused on one of the most boring paintings in the gallery. You get a two-second glimpse of the main character's masterpiece which she turns into a magical doorway. Other than that, not much.

I do have one rule. A painting has to be on-screen for longer than two seconds for me to consider it as a subject to paint. So in a bizarre turn of events that I'd never have guessed, I finished the game without some ideas to take back home with me. It's an excellent game, don't get me wrong. And I'm actually overloaded with more ideas than time right now, so it might be all for the best that I don't have a souvenir of my personal Longest Journey.

Ah well. There's always The Longest Journey II : Dreamfall. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment