Thursday, September 3, 2009

Marseille Part I

DISCLAIMER: These images are from old postcards, and should be viewed with caution. While the original photographer was attempting to capture an image, through their medium they inadvertently captured unintended information. This should be kept in mind when looking at these pictures.
What I'm saying is that although the artist was likely just trying to capture a pretty scene, they created a graphic time capsule which trapped the limitations, fears, irrational prejudices and mind-bending stagnation of the soul which was in effect at the time. So I'll keep my commentary to a minimum. Just think of these as being pretty pictures.

Thirteenth Image:

a postcard featuring Marseille at the turn of the century.  Notice I didn't indicate which centure this image of the city is from.

From the Back of the post card: MARSEILLE - Un coin du Vieux Marseille

Ted Puffer Commentary: Notice what's missing from the back of the card? The legend "Wish you were here". I can't believe that this is a vacation post card. Who in their right mind would go here, from anywhere? How bad is their home town that THIS is a vacation spot? Heck, even in Detroit I'd be second guessing my travel arrangements. "You know what? Let's skip Marseille this year and hang around the neighborhood crack house instead.."

No comments:

Post a Comment