Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Heron in the Bog

The Heron in this loteria card has meanings for tarot readings and divination.  This heron is in a bog.
"The Heron" Loteria Card
La Garza or "The Heron"
This image really fought me when I tried to format it in the loteria template.  The image is very exacting.  The Heron is pictured coming out of a bog.  Swamp plants and slime are covering the bird's legs and dripping from the bird's body.  Higher up on the figure, the bird is clean and noble.
The meaning behind this card is clear when viewed in this context.  The bird is somehow able to exist in the bog without being corrupted by it.  I worked like crazy to see if I could find a happy medium where the bird would no be blocked by the scroll.  I should have saved my energy.  No matter how I put it, the scroll blocks a significant part of the bird.
Still, it does work out well the way it looks now.  As a last ditch effort, I flipped the image so that the bird was facing to the left.  The only thing that did was make it so the bird's large beak impaled the card number and suit overlay hovering in the top left corner.  Grrrr.
Even so.  I think this came out well and adhered closely with the original design.

No comments:

Post a Comment