Monday, May 30, 2011

Getting There


If there's one thing to learn from the above image, it's never to give up! Ha! The painting is coming along nicely, although I'd be hard pressed to say that it looks stunning in any way, shape or form. The central figure is getting fleshed out with liberal lashings of black. Unlike the previous Tiger painting, this one has many nooks and crannies that I didn't fully appreciate while sketching it onto the canvas. At the time I knew that I'd be working with the small brushes to delineate the scales of the dragon but the time the process would take was lost on me. I know MUCH better now.

Oh, do you notice the white heart in the upper left hand corner of the card? That is a mistake on my part. It should have the same washed out red as the queen's gown, but in the process of dabbling around with the paints I forgot about it completely. To my credit I remembered that a separate heart actually goes there, but when the time to paint red came, it slipped my mind that it still needed to be filled in. Not a big deal. As you'll see, I'll hit it as the painting progresses.

The banner under the figure will be emblazoned with the phrase "La Lucha", which if Google Translator is any good, should stand for something similar to "The Struggle". Now here's the weird part about that banner. Each of the four paintings in this series should have the banner. I left it off of the Tiger painting because there wasn't a good way to get it to fit in the overall composition. I would have gone to more effort to include it if each painting had a different phrase, but they don't. Wouldn't it have made more sense to have each image have their own unique saying? I think so to.

But they don't, and so I fudged that one. The Struggle actually is a fitting subscript for the series of paintings, but I don't think it's vital to announce it on all the designs.

More fine detail work with inky black paint, and I'll post another photo!

No comments:

Post a Comment