Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Goldfinch

I'm still sticking with the mockingbird as my animal totem. I know someone who had someone else choose their spirit guide for her and ended up with a ladybug. Nothing wrong with ladybugs mind you, but not the first thing that would spring to my mind if I was deciding on an animal spirit to help guide me through the spirit world, or give me insight into mystical matters.

So mockingbird it is for me, but I had a very neat experience with a goldfinch today.

I was out in the back yard listening to the wind blowing through the trees and the chirping of the local flock of sparrows and goldfinches as they gave their opinion about the gale force winds that have been whipping through the High Desert. After awhile I noticed that one of the chirping birds wasn't moving from tree to tree but actually sounded very nearby. I looked over to the neighbor's roof to see if I could see any feathery guys making their homes in the eves, but didn't see anything. Then I realized the chirping was near. Taking another look I found the source. A goldfinch was perched on the fence about three feet away from me.

The bird was a bright gold color and at first I thought it must be a chick because of the small size. Its feathers looked well groomed and not the frowzy mess that chicks usually wear while they're learning to fly, and this bird had a bald tummy which is usually an indication they're nesting. So the bird must have been a mom, and a fearless one at that.

I put out a finger and slowly moved toward the bird. She kept chirping. I petted her warm tummy and then the bird walked on to my finger and hung there. What a cool experience!

It didn't last that long, only about two minutes. But it was enough time for me to get the message. More thistles in the sock feeder. Yes ma'am!

No comments:

Post a Comment