Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Inky Fingers



Whew! I swear, I don't even want to know how many paint fumes I've inhaled while hunched over this canvas trying to coax thick gobs of black paint into those awkward channels. But when I step back, I'm happy to see that everything is looking good. The unfinished 'card' center still gives the painting an unpleasant muddled look, almost as though the painting is being seen from behind a smudged piece of glass. But it's an illusion. If you hold up your hand to block the view of the central figure, the painting suddenly looks very nice. Gotta love perception.

I'm going to have to fix those letters. They're true to the original, but I don't like them. I won't do any radical changes to the font, but somehow I have to make them look more cartoon like.

My hand moved slightly when I was doing the eye, so now it looks more sunken than I'd planned. I'm going to leave it alone. That effect wouldn't be my first choice, but it's small enough that I'm going to let it stay the way it is. After awhile, I've learned not to fight a painting too much. If it gets into its head that it wants to come out a certain way, I'd be foolish to try to fight it.

I don't think it's immediately obvious from the graphic, but the black is matte because the final protective gloss coating has yet to be applied. It looks like it was sketched in with chalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment