Saturday, May 7, 2011

Spirit Guide

I'm thinking that I'll adopt the mockingbird as my spirit guide. I'm inspired to do so because a very nosy mockingbird has decided to become my personal peeping tom and has been flitting around my window for about a month now.

There's a fence that runs along the length of the side yard, and has a natural perch at the top which he has been making use of ever since the awning blew away. Huh? Oh yeah. About two months ago Victorville had its annual parade of extreme windstorms blow through the area scouring every unprotected surface with sand and dust. It's always exciting and usually residents will spend a few days assessing the damage once they're done rolling through the valley. This time I didn't have to look too hard. One awning down, beaten to ribbons between the houses and tattered.

The weather has been very cool, so I wasn't in too great a hurry to replace the thing. So while it was down, a mockingbird which has been roosting in the neighbor's palm tree suddenly discovered that he could have his lunch and look in at me at the same time. Bold, fearless and loud. Yeah, considering that all those descriptors could apply to me I decided that my spirit guide is a mockingbird.

I wanted to leave out a treat for him, so checked out the mockingbird diet online. From what I read, they are considered omnivorous, which means that any foodlike product should suit them just fine. Lies. All lies. They like grubs and berries. I like mockingbirds, but I draw the line at finding grubs for them. To my credit, I put out some peanuts which were promptly ignored. I'll leave out bottlecaps next. (the shiny variety, not the sugary treats)

No comments:

Post a Comment