Wednesday, February 22, 2012

King Cake Strikes Back

How hard can it be to make a King Cake? Now I'm not really a stickler for tradition when it comes to food, so even though today is Ash Wednesday, I'm all for making a King Cake and I want something that is visually stunning. The last time that I made this sort of cake, it really didn't come out the way that I planned. Sure, it was tasty and all of the other necessary qualities which makes baking so rewarding and encourages the new chef to keep plugging away at the recipe books. But it was missing that quality of visual appeal.
In a nutshell, I wanted something that lept off the plate and punched the would-be diner in the face. Visually at least.
If I remember correctly, I settled on having a plate of cinnamon rolls that were frosted together and then decorated with a frilly design. Yes, it tasted just fine. But it wasn't the Tim Burton styled cake that I'd imagined.
This year I'm determined to do better than that. I really do have an idea for a cake which will be a combination of geometric shapes and colors so that while the cake will be delicious it will also be memorable in the best of ways. I think I've got a winning recipe this time. It's far to elaborate to go into here, but it is a braided pastry that will have electric neon icing. Oh, and apples. It will have apples as well.

If I can pull this off to my satisfaction, I'll post pictures. If not... well there's always next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment