Friday, January 7, 2011

It's Alive! Again!

The very fact that you can read this means that my experiments with Ubuntu on a netbook have been successful. It's a little different than I'd imagined, because up to this point my only experiences with Ubuntu have been on the desktop version, which looks very different than what I'm seeing before me here. But this is an exciting new design, and I can tell that it was created very specifically with netbooks in mind.

When I first discovered that there were many flavours of Ubuntu to choose from, I'd imagined this was only because some OS' may contain little querks that would need different versions to work around. But I think that something deeper is at work here. I'd bet that the good folks who program for Ubuntu took one look at the small screen on the typical netbook and decided that an overhaul was in order.

I'm not going to review the thing here. Heck, I've just discovered it for myself and haven't had time to play around with it fully. But from what I can tell, this is exactly what a netbook OS SHOULD look like!

No comments:

Post a Comment