Thursday, January 13, 2011

Palm Springs Film Fest 2011

I just finished seeing the 6 films over three days that I'd picked for the Palm Springs Film Festival, and it looks like the method worked very nicely. I didn't overthink my selections, just pointed and made the purchases. The films that I ended up with were as diverse as anyone could have hoped for, and contained a remarkable range of directorial styles. I'm very glad I went this year! Writing was killing my schedule and I really didn't think that I'd be able to break away for a few days to go down to the Fest.

My best of the fest pick this time? I think that I'll have to go with Uncle Boomee, but Bardsongs is a close second. Bardsongs was much more easily understood and approachable, but that isn't what drew me to this film. The stories and locations are endlessly entertaining, and even with no dialog I'd have sat in the theatre just soaking in the atmosphere of foreign cultures, sounds and sights alike. What an enjoyable film!

Mamuuth... Well, I DID like it... but good grief.

No star sightings this time, but I'll keep an eye peeled next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment