Thursday, April 19, 2012

Recycled Paintings


La Calavera, or "The Skull" a loteria card which seemingly could have been modeled after Manny Calavera from the Grim Fandango
"The Skull" Loteria Card
Originally painted for the Day of the Dead, I wanted to capture the quick and non professional nature of most day of the dead images.  When I looked at paintings of skeletons and skulls for the festival, I noticed that many of them were obviously painted by non professional artists.  It made the paintings more personal.  To get a similar effect I gave myself just a few hours for this painting.  It's quite large and was used as a background for a shrine.  Even though I rushed through the painting, it still shows a lot of character.

The second image that I decided to co-opt for a loteria card was the buring figures of the Lovecraftian inspired work that I'd completed a few months ago.  I knew that the picture would be suitable for the Death Card, but was a little worried that some of the texture would be lost.  This painting is very large, and when reduced to the card size, the texture of the canvas isn't apparent.  There is a feeling that this image doesn't look as much a part of the whole series because the level of detail visible, but it was just too good to pass up.






Similar to the tarot card of Death, la meurte has a different symbolisim and meaning when cast for fortune telling.
"The Death" Loteria Card
There is no tarot card similar to The Bottle.  This work was painted with acrylic on canvas by Ted Puffer based of a James Blaylock story.
"The Bottle" Loteria Card
What were the chances that "The Bottle" would be a legitimate Loteria card? I really wasn't comfortable with scavenging old paintings for Loteria images, but this was fate.










No comments:

Post a Comment