Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Spider on the Fly

This card in the loteria deck shows the spider, or la arana, and is used for tarot like fortune telling.  The style of this image is similar to a Gorey illustration.
"The Spider" Loteria Card
"The Spider"

I painted this image on the fly.  For the spider loteria card I didn't have any images floating around my mind.  In fact, I really didn't know for sure if there even was a Spider card in the standard deck of Loteria.  But while going through an unsorted virtual gallery I came across this spectacular image and knew that I didn't need to look any further.

I was hesitant about making another card with the slate background.  Sure, the background looks fantastic and captures the mood of the piece in the foreground. But I'm only about 7 cards into the deck and I already have two with that sort of cloudy background.  This just seemed like taking the easy way out.  So I really was tossing around the idea of changing the background for this image.... but resisted and I'm glad that I did.  It came out very nicely, if I do say so myself!

Now that I get a good look at it, I'm thinking this is what "Charlotte's Web" would look like if Gorey was inspired to do the illustrations.  One other thing: I'm not liking the way the scans are picking up the texture of the canvas but it's far to late to do anything about that now.  I'm about 7 cards into this project, and if you remember what I mentioned in an earlier blog post, nothing kills enthusiasm like having to go back and fix things.  So full speed ahead!

Update!  Although the divination definitions haven't been completed on this website, the official page is complete.  To find out more about the La Arana loteria card, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment