Monday, July 23, 2012

Loteria Hat Trick!

A cactus is on this southwest themed loteria card.  A Mexican Green Man.
"The Cactus" Loteria Card
 "The Cactus"

I'm not sure what stars were arranged in which patterns, but for some reason I actually found some time today to do some painting and I managed to knock out three difficult cards for the upcoming loteria deck.  Now there are those who will say that any art project has it's equal share of ups and downs. To these people, there aren't any 'hard' projects or 'fun' projects, just projects that have their difficulties and fun in different areas.
I don't believe it.  These last three cards were hard.  In fact, I'm intentionally skipping over "The Apache" and "The Musician" because I don't feel like putting my face through canvas in frustration.  But "The Cactus" came together in a way that I'm very pleased with and I don't think that I could have done anything to improve it.  It's perfect exactly how it is.
Funny, when I look at this painting I can't help but think that it's some sort of Green Man for the High Desert.  We don't really go for ivys and vines in Victorville.  If there were a reason that would inspire us to dance around a symbol of growth and fertility, it would have thorns like this green guy.  It isn't that we don't like growing and flourishing fauna.  But when you live in a place that regularly goes over 110 degrees and only has about 20 percent humidity, you take what you get.

A soldier wades in a lake of blood while his back is turned to God and the mercy of the Cross.
"The Soldier" Loteria Card
"The Soldier"

I've been going around town posting fliers for the upcoming "Hot August Nights" and I am seeing a measure of support for this event.  The event will be at the church and will host a variety of local artists and entertainers.  I'm hoping that artists will be able to not only show and sell their creations, but use the opportunity to network and meet others with similar interests.  We have painters, sculptures and ceramic oriented artists around here.  Now is there time to shine!

I'll be setting up the sound equipment, but for the life of me I just can't make myself bring my guitar to this event.  I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem, but my fingers are soft and I'm out of practice with the guitar.  Not good!  The music is there, but finding an evening free to practice on a regular basis is harder than I'd have thought. Because I'm really trying to improve my guitar playing, I picked up a copy of the X360 "Rocksmith" which should give me the incentive to practice more.  I've checked it out quickly and it seems to be in working order.  I was even able to hook up my handwired chrome guitar tri-cone resonator to the machine, and it recognized it!  That shouldn't be possible, but I can't argue with success.  It plugs in and can tell when the guitar is in tune.  That's more than I can do most of the time!

This loteria card can be used for tarot fortune telling and divination.  It is aligned to magic auras generated when a session has begun.
"The Ladle" Loteria Card
"The Ladle"

Thank you Kirstie for all your wonderful support and guidance on this loteria project.  I'd be lost without you!

No comments:

Post a Comment