Thursday, January 7, 2010

Black, White and Red

The Redlands Art Association has a show coming up later in the year with a red, white and black theme. I'd like to say that this is an inspired move by the gallery to have artificial limitations on artwork to give artists an opportunity to expand their work in a medium through an imposed constraint. By limiting the palate an artist has to work with, the artist must find creative and unconventional ways to express him or herself through their art.
But I can't say that, because it's not true.
Red, white and black are the colors of a local high school. If you've been to Redlands before you'll understand completely.
Anyway, the pandering to infrastructure aside, I don't care what it takes to get in a gallery, I'll get in one. So with that being said, I cast about to find something that falls within that color scheme, and found the "Mask" image I've written about earlier. I was going to paint this image anyway because I found it inspiring and weird, but through a happy coincidence it also makes it with the rules for the opening. The fact that it's probably the least likely thing that the Redlands Art Assoc had planned when they issued the challenge makes it that much better.

There is another image from Pathologic that I'll be painting in the days ahead, and will post it here. It's different from the mask in almost every way imaginable, but again it uses primarily those three colors so I'll likely enter both into their show.

No comments:

Post a Comment