Sunday, January 31, 2010

Palm Springs Art Museum

One quick note on the Palm Springs Art Museum.

It's a museum dedicated to modern art, but has some wealthy benefactors on the board so you get a good range of exhibits and artists on display. They are located in Palm Springs and have a theater that was showing movies for the Palm Springs Film Festival, which is where the museum and I first crossed paths. I checked some of the works out when going there for "Mediterranean Food", the movie about the culinary threesome, a wanted to make a return visit when I had more time.

PSAM has a range of art from Picasso to Dali to Warhol, but the real gems are from foreign artists working with unusual materials or political subjects. It's not often that I see something in a gallery that turns me completely off, but PSAM has it. The top floor of the gallery is dedicated to promised works, and a few of these were bad. Bad. Bad as in "give me a break do you take me for a fool" bad.

What makes the Museum well worth the trip is that the clunkers are shown alongside works of breathless beauty, so you get the chance to appreciate both. There are some glass works that are stunning and left me in awe which isn't easy. I'd have thought that living in Tacoma near the Glass Museum would have dulled my appreciation for glassworks, but that's not the case. There were international glass pieces which I want to see again soon. The drawback of glass is that photographs don't do them justice at all. So you can visit the galleries website and see the works, but it's nowhere near the experience of actually seeing them live.

A return visit is called for.

No comments:

Post a Comment