Saturday, May 26, 2012

Dragon Pear

An alligator pear is featured in this painting of a loteria card used for tarot divination and fortune telling
"The Pear" Loteria Card
The loteria card "La Pera" is traditionally shown with a halved pear as the subject.  However, as I'd discovered earlier, the easier the subject of the card is, the more creative you have to be to paint it.  Sure, anyone could paint a regular pear for the subject, but it would be so boring to do, such a tedious grind, that it might take forever to actually finish.  When coming up with over 72 unique images for this deck, time isn't something that I have in spades.
For this pear I chose the image of an "Alligator Pear", which is actually much more approperiate considering the southwestern influences of the loteria deck.  The pit of the avocado is pictured as an embryo for some reptile.  As an interesting note, this wouldn't be that much of a stretch.  Amphibians are hatched, and so an egg-like embryo wasn't something that I could lay claim to having invented.  Mother nature beat me to it.

I've included a page explaining the divination interpretation for this card.

No comments:

Post a Comment