Thursday, May 3, 2012

Over a Barrel

The Barrel card, painted with acrylic on canvas for the fortunetelling deck available in California and Mexico.
"The Barrel"

The one problem I've found with people talking about fortune telling using Loteria cards has been one of the images being too simple.  With a traditional deck of tarot cards, the images are broad and detailed enough to allow any sort of meaning to be divined from them.  But loteria cards have images that are extremely simple.  Some of them are mundane objects which would be a stretch for anyone to determine a deeper meaning from.  "The Barrel" is one of them.

To jazz it up a touch, I painted a barrel in a tempest.  Now we're talking!  This card is positively dripping with subtext!

Yeah, I'm tempted to play around with adding detail to the frothing spout coming from the tap, but other than that I think this came out quite well.  Look at those waves and compare them to the rain from "The Umbrella".  I'm getting better at painting the wet stuff.

Update!  This painting is now in the Victorville Eclipse Gallery as the first look at my divination loteria deck!

No comments:

Post a Comment