Thursday, May 3, 2012

Flipping the Bird

A beautiful and unique design for a fortunetelling deck using loteria icons and images.
 I encountered a strange problem with this card.  When I painted the tree clinging to the precipice, I used my default setting for composition.  I had the spire appear on the left with the tree flowing out to the right.  The lighting source usually would have been in the upper left shining down to the lower right.  However, when I put the banner over the image I got this.

It's not bad, but too much of the spire is covered by the title of the card.  I could have used PhotoShop to have the spire appear over the banner but that would have resulted in too much of the text being covered.  I had to fix it.






the loteria divination card "El Arbol", a mystical design featuring a tree in fall, against an ocean background.
"The Tree" Loteria Card
I flipped the painting, but because I painted with the understanding that the corner would be covered and the banner would hide the part of the painting behind it there were big bare patches that needed to be remedied.  You can still see a light streak on the water where I hadn't painted a thing but I liked the effect.  The pencil lines of the template were a more serious problem and required a bunch of fiddily manipulating to blend in.  The end result is much better though, and the composition is more suitable for the card.  So I'm keeping it this way.

Oh, I'd neglected the fact that the deck will have cards with a value of "10", which are two digits wide.  I crunched them together and they fit.  Barely.

Update!  The final version of the El Arbol loteria card can be found here:

No comments:

Post a Comment