Friday, May 18, 2012

The Storm Loteria

A custom painted loteria card entitled "The Storm".  Painted with acrylics on canvas for "The Pope's Cards" loteria deck.
"The Storm" Loteria Card
I couldn't help myself with this one.  I was going through the new loteria site and I came across my painting "The Red and the Black" that I'd painted for the Redlands Art Association's gallery exhibit about a year ago.  As I looked at the striking image I couldn't escape the idea that this would be a wonderful piece for the loteria deck.
But the standard loteria deck didn't have a card that fit an image such as this.
So I created one.  Behold!  The Storm!  The original picture that I used for this was a little fuzzy around the edges, but when reduced in size to fit the template it's hard to tell.  If anything, it looks more compact and complete in this new size.  I've made this card 55, so it will be one without a standard suit.  The club graphic is just there for a placeholder.  I've been toying with what the new suit should be and think it will be a light blue star.
Just a happy coincidence that the word for 'storm' in Spanish is 'Tormenta".  That's what I should have entitled this painting to begin with!

No comments:

Post a Comment