Thursday, May 10, 2012

Green Girls

a painting of a mermaid based off of Jeter's "Green Girls" for a loteria deck uniquely designed for divination and fortunetelling.
"The Mermaid" Loteria Card
When I first started out to do this card I really wanted to have something a little different than the normal mermaid design.  I've never been a fan of mermaids, and their boost in popularity for whatever reason has left me cold.  I turned the classic tail into a tentacle and really like the result!  But the face on the other hand eluded me.
I swear I tried to give her a pretty face.  But the perspective was just off enough that I couldn't get the effect that I wanted.  Also, this is a small image so adding details like lips and a nose were almost impossible.  Any details would have likely been lost when the image was scanned in anyway.  You don't want to know how many redesigns her face went through.
Finally in frustration I went for the London "Green Girls" look from Jeter and this is the final image.  Yeah, that ship being torn apart on the waves couldn't have been better and the suckers on the tail look eerie.  The shine off the scales is top notch as well.  But the fishy look, the glassy eyes... Oh well, there are always other cards and other canvases to try again on.

Update!  For a tarot like interpretation of the loteria Mermaid, click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment