Thursday, May 10, 2012

Who are you calling a Gentleman?

Loteria card used in divination and fortune telling.
"The Gentleman" Loteria Card
I'm really beginning to see some advantages to running a painting through Photoshop.  This image is a perfect example of how it can be used to improve the final product.  The "Gentleman" card was one that I started early because of it's place in the deck (I started numerically at 1 and am working my way from there), but didn't get around to finishing it until now.  Painting figures is probably the hardest subject there is, and I had some trepidation about this.  It was justified.  Grrr.  I knew roughly what I wanted it to look like, but everything from the background to his nose caused me issues.
Most obvious was his raised arm.  You can't tell it from this picture, but in the original painting his arm is WAY too long.  I didn't catch it at first, probably because I was not looking too closely, in case I got frustrated at all the nit-picky things that were going on.  But his arm was long and detracted from the card.  Normally I'd just say that I'd be the only person to be bothered by it.  Anyone else just coming across the picture wouldn't give it a second thought.  But you'll have to trust me on this, it was obvious.  Obvious in a very bad way.
Enter Photoshop.  Some cutting and pasting and cosmetic surgery on the scan and suddenly he doesn't look like Plastic Man in a pin-striped pimp suit.  He actually looks pretty darn good!
Yes, his feet suck.  Tell me something I don't know.  Painting human figures is hard.  Painting feet correctly is next to impossible.  Give me credit that I didn't show him ankle-deep in the pond.

Update!  To find out the loteria divination interpretation of El Catrin, click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment